[tex-live] Bug in TexLive 2005 and 2007? Non-writable aux-file

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Mar 10 10:57:55 CET 2007

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> If the user is asked for an output file name, then we already
> have an error condition. If the user does not provide a
> file name, then he is probably unable/unwilling to provide
> the correct error recovery. Then just aborting is IMHO the best
> choice than writing to more or less randomly choosen file names
> with the risk of overwriting files.

this may be true for a tex file, but not for a pdf file ... one can have
a pdf file locked by the viewer, and after closing the file (in the
viewer) hitting return will continue the job, which is quite convenient
in an edit/run/preview cycle

so, when adapting the code, the new kind of trickery should leave the
dvi/pdf file part alone since
> Thus I vote for abortion if the prompted output file name is empty

but not for dvi/pdf output files (jobname.dvi/pdf)

Hans