[tex-live] Bug in TexLive 2005 and 2007? Non-writable aux-file

Philip & Le Khanh Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Wed Mar 7 08:58:31 CET 2007

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Yes, the current behavior bothers me all the time.  I think that when
> people press CTRL-C or CTRL-D they expect that TeX aborts immediately.
> I also do not understand why TeX continues after a fatal error (file
> not writable) occurred.

I don't think such an error /is/ fatal, if TeX is operating
in interactive mode; in batch mode, on the other hand, it
clearly should be.  Why not in interactive mode ?  Because
PdfTeX regularly has problems writing to its PDF file if
the latter is open in Acrobat, and the user needs to be told
of the problem, close the Acrobat window, and then (ideally)
just hit <Return> to signal "try again, please".  Unfortunately
PdfTeX doesn't treat <Return> as "try again, please", so one
is forced to enter the full PDF file name.  It would be better
(IMHO) if <Return> signalled "I think I've fixed it; try again,
please".

** Phil.