[tex-live] Bug in TexLive 2005 and 2007? Non-writable aux-file

Philip & Le Khanh Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Tue Mar 6 18:48:05 CET 2007

I confess I was confused by the possible involvement
of LaTeX, particularly as the log file shewed
"\openout1 = `ex.tex'." which did not appear
in the original.  However, I have now replicated
the problem using Plain TeX :

 > ALPHA6::Chaa006 : type ex.tex;3
 > \newwrite \aux
 > \immediate \openout \aux = ex.aux
 > \immediate \write \aux {END}
 > \immediate \closeout \aux
 >
 > \end
 > ALPHA6::Chaa006 :

and I can confirm that (under VMS), Ctrl-C followed
by "X" has exactly the same effect as with the LaTeX
example.  Thus it does indeed seem that it is TeX
itself that is implicated, rather than LaTeX or Web2C.

** Phil.