[tex-live] Report on packaging TeX Live for linux

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 6 00:01:18 CET 2007

Hi Francois,

Thank you for all the reports.  It will take some time to work through
them.  Meanwhile, congratulations on your success :).

    - Is it considered "appropriate" to split collections of packages so
    that documentation is separated from the rest?

It's your choice.

    - And is it OK to exclude the {texmf,texmf-dist,texmf-doc}/source/
    branch from a distribution?

Then, at least for the GPL'd packages, you have to make a written offer
to distribute the source for at least three years.  This is true for the
big source/.tar.bz2, too. (I don't imagine you make any use of the
Windows binaries, so the source-win32.zip isn't needed.)  Ie, you need
to keep a copy of the source yourself and have it available from
wherever you distribute.

Although legally you could refrain from distributing sources of packages
under some of the other licenses, I think it would be simpler, and much
preferable, to just provide the sources for everything.

Best,
karl