[tex-live] hosting inst image

Florent Rougon f.rougon at free.fr
Fri Mar 2 21:50:21 CET 2007

Hi Karl,

First, let me join to Norbert and thank you for all the work you did to
make this release happen (that also goes to other contributors and
upstream developers!).

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

> I updated http://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html with this info (among
> other things).  Please let me know if there is more that should be said
> about the availability via BitTorrent.

I think it would be highly desirable to display at least the MD5
checksum of the image, just after the list where you give the bittorent
link. This is primarily for security reasons, but may also avoid people
wasting their time with a corrupted file. Besides, I don't think
everyone will have the idea and patience to get the md5sum from the FTP
mirrors that are listed there, and even then, I'd say the most
trustworthy source for the md5sum is a priori tug.org, not these mirrors
(note that I am not saying that the admins of these mirrors aren't
trustworthy, just that tug.org is the primary source, so...).

> Since you've gone to the trouble of making the inst image available this
> way, would it be possible to also make the *live* image available as a
> torrent?  After all, that is the one that we recommend people use (to
> forestall questions about "my architecture is missing").

Of course, if you happen to put a bittorrent link for the live image, a
checksum for it on the tug.org web page would be desirable too.

Thanks.

--
Florent