[tex-live] texdoc in luatex

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jun 28 00:04:23 CEST 2007

Reinhard Kotucha writes:

 > However, another nice solution would be to walk through the path
 > (os.getenv("PATH")).  With other words, write a function which does
 > the same as the UNIX which command.

I forgot to say this: It would be nice if environment variables like
TEXDOC_VIEWER_DVI, TEXDOC_VIEWER_HTML, TEXDOC_VIEWER_PDF, ... are
evaluated before you attempt to search for a program.

Not everybody is happy with the defaults.  The best way to access
these environment variables is using kpse.expand_var.  Then a system
administrator can set reasonable default values for a particular
platform in texmf.cnf and a user can overwrite them in his
environment.

There are many good reasons to make this configurable.  Some people
prefer xpdf, others prefer acroread.  If some package doesn't provide
any documentation, you'll be pointed to the catalogue HTML files.
This is not a big problem if a web browser is already running but it
is very annoying if it has to be launched.

The tex-catalogue HTML files are well designed and are formatted
perfectly in text-based web browsers like elinks or lynx.  Since many
people are not familiar with them we have to launch such clumsy and
stupid programs like firefox by default.  But it should be
customizable.

Cheers,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25