[tex-live] texdoc in luatex

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Mon Jun 25 22:30:31 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>> Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> The current state is attached, the -l and -h options already work.
>>
>> Attached is version 0.1.  It can be used to list and view files (and it
>> has a '-v|--version' option, but the regex search is not implemented.
>
> Frank, luatex links against libz (of course), so I could easily, and
> with just a minimum amound of extra compiled code, offer an interface
> to that directly from lua. Doinfg so would remove the need to call the
> g(un)zip executable. If you like that, let me know what you believe
> the best interface would be.

Hm, the current texdoc shell script works with .gz and .bz2.  In terms
of easy programming and maintainability, I think it would only be an
advantage if we either decide to not support bzip2 (and 7zip in the
future), or include those, too (which is probably not as easy).

I don't know who was using compressed documentation; we (Debian) have
done it for long, but our xdvi is able to ready dvi.gz even without
texdoc, and we slowly switch to not compressing pdf any more.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)