[tex-live] xelatex on OpenBSD sparc64 - Bus Error

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 22 13:19:00 CEST 2007

On 17 Jun 2007, at 1:14 am, Edd Barrett wrote:

> On 16/06/07, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:
>> Sorry; I think you're seeing a xetex bug that is liable to show up on
>> 64-bit big-endian architectures. It was reported by Werner Fink (see
>> <http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2007-May/013573.html>). Note,
>> however, that the patch suggested there is not fully correct; it may
>> prevent the immediate crash but will not function properly in actual
>> use.
>>
>> The underlying problem has been fixed in the xetex sources on
>> scripts.sil.org (see <http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex?
>> rev=468&view=rev>), but this applies to the current development
>> version, not the release currently in TeX Live. When the next release
>> of xetex happens, this will of course be committed to TL as well, but
>> in the meantime it might be possible to develop a patch based on
>> these changes.
>>
>> Alternatively, is it possible to build a 32-bit binary as an interim
>> workaround?
>

> I would rather a patch as Im not sure how compatible sparc/sparc64
> binaries are on OpenBSD (yeh sure on solaris!).
>
> Do you have a patch?

I'm attaching a patch for xetex based on the sources in TeX Live 2007
(from texlive/branches/branch2007/Build/source). It also seems to
apply cleanly to the current sources in TL trunk, as of r4491. I hope
this will solve the error you've been seeing on the sparc64 system,
but as I don't have access to one myself I'd appreciate hearing the
result.

This patch also includes the fixes for two bugs reported in version
0.996 that led to incorrect output in certain (relatively obscure)
situations. It does not include any of the new features currently
being developed for the next release. The pool file is unchanged, so
the binary is a drop-in replacement; "-patch1" is appended to the
banner line so that it can be identified.

Please let me know if this works for you; unless anyone objects, I
propose to commit it to TL once we know it solves the issue.

JK