[tex-live] TL2007 epstopdf: Script interpreter is not found in PATH

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 19:13:19 CEST 2007

On 6/17/07, Lianqing Yu <lianqing.yu at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I uninstall TL first and reinstall it again with perl and ghostscript
> installed. This time I get another error such like "invalid path
> "C:\Program". I guess it should be "C:\Program Files\..." but perl cannot
> deal with space characters in the path. I give up.
>  I don't think it is a good idea for TL to require perl and another version
> of ghostscript to work properly. I've already had ghostscript 8.53 installed
> and TL installs ghostscript 8.54, wired.
>  I try MiKTeX 2.6 today and it works. No perl, ghostscript dependencies.
> dvipdfm works fine.

Glad you got it to work, but it is too bad you didn't press on and provide
a bit more information so we can fix TL.  Did you get the error from epstopdf
or from dvipdfm?

MikTeX 2.6 provides "mgs", which is ghostscript 8.54, but I think ConTeXt tools
do require 3rd party versions of perl and ruby.

Perl can deal with spaces, but that takes extra care when writing scripts.
Most TL development is done on linux where people tend to avoid spaces.
Clearly testing on Windows was not adequate.  I try to test TL on Windows
each year, but I have perl and ghostscript installed separately (as
"C:\Perl" and
"C:\gs"), and I didn't take the time to test the versions included
with TL or installs
of perl or gs in "C:\Program files\...".

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia