[tex-live] xelatex on OpenBSD sparc64 - Bus Error

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jun 16 16:14:25 CEST 2007

On 16 Jun 2007, at 3:30 am, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just when I thought I had this port finished, this has cropped up:
>
> During fmtutil-sys --all:

> Local configuration file hyphen.cfg used
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/hyphen.tex)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/ushyphmax.tex)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/dumyhyph.tex)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/zerohyph.tex)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/zerohyph.tex)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/xu-bahyph.tex
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/bahyph.tex))
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/xu-bghyphen.tex
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/bghyphen/bghyphsi.texBus
> error (core dumped)
> Error: `xetex -ini  -jobname=xelatex -progname=xelatex -etex
> xelatex.ini' failed
>
> Wha! Thats a bus error.
>
> Can you suggest anything before I turn on debugging symbols and gdb
> it. I was hoping not to get this low level whilst porting.

Sorry; I think you're seeing a xetex bug that is liable to show up on
64-bit big-endian architectures. It was reported by Werner Fink (see
<http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2007-May/013573.html>). Note,
however, that the patch suggested there is not fully correct; it may
prevent the immediate crash but will not function properly in actual
use.

The underlying problem has been fixed in the xetex sources on
scripts.sil.org (see <http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex?
rev=468&view=rev>), but this applies to the current development
version, not the release currently in TeX Live. When the next release
of xetex happens, this will of course be committed to TL as well, but
in the meantime it might be possible to develop a patch based on
these changes.

Alternatively, is it possible to build a 32-bit binary as an interim
workaround?

JK