[tex-live] texdoc under windows

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 12:41:25 CEST 2007

On 6/10/07, Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> wrote:
>
> > > The "TeX Catalog Online" seems to be a reasonable database.
> >
> > But it isn't organized hierarchically, is it?
>
> in my instance of it, it's not even a database (jim's setup at
> tug.ctan.org is a database ... sql, not hierarchical).
>
> searching is actually pretty primitive.  i presume jim does an sql query
> (i've never looked at the code); i simply search through a file that has
> a trivial index to the xml source files.
>
> running over a simple text file, like that, is really rather quick,
> actually.
>
> why do you want hierarchical?

texdoctk provides a hierarchical view.  One way to get around the
maintenance problem is to put only the most important docs
(according to her what does the work!) in texdoctk.dat, so changes
from year to year are manageable.  To augment the existing search
function, add a "search the TeX Catalog Online" button.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia