[tex-live] Bug in \discretionary in XeLaTeX for Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 1 20:00:35 CEST 2007

On 1 Jun 2007, at 3:48 pm, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> Hello,
> after some problems with \discretionary I made a sample file which
> contains just path\discretionary{+}{:}{/} so that it outputs path/file
> if not hyphenated and
>
> path+
> :file
>
> if hyphenated. It works so in pdflatex. With XeLaTeX the same file
> yields path/le if not hyphenated and
>
> path+
> :le
>
> if hyphenated, i.e. two letters disappear.

Yes, this is due to a bug in XeTeX; it was identified (and fixed in
the XeTeX source repository) during the EuroBachoTeX conference
(thanks to Jano Kula for bringing it to my attention), but of course
the TeXLive release was well before this date.

If you're prepared to rebuild XeTeX from the development sources, the
problem should go away, otherwise you'll need to wait for a new
release; sorry!

JK