[tex-live] Misplaced file(s): mathdots

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jun 1 08:32:49 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 05:56:49PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

>     In the .ins file the locations can be declared by \usedir.
>
> I wasn't aware of this.  What does such a declaration really mean?  A
> \message at the end of the run?  Nothing in the TL process reads that ...

Excerpt from `atbegshi.ins':

  \generate{%
    \file{atbegshi.ins}{\from{atbegshi.dtx}{install}}%
    \file{atbegshi.drv}{\from{atbegshi.dtx}{driver}}%
    \usedir{tex/generic/oberdiek}%
    \file{atbegshi.sty}{\from{atbegshi.dtx}{package}}%
    \usedir{doc/latex/oberdiek}%
    \file{atbegshi-example.tex}{\from{atbegshi.dtx}{example}}%
    \file{atbegshi-test1.tex}{\from{atbegshi.dtx}{test1}}%
    \file{atbegshi-test2.tex}{\from{atbegshi.dtx}{test2}}%
  }

That means that atbegshi.ins and atbegshi.drv are generated
in the current directory, they don't need a TDS location.
The package is generated as TDS:tex/generic/oberdiek/atbegshi.sty
and the example and test files are put in TDS:doc/latex/oberdiek/.

It does not have an effect, if this feature is not enabled by
the user. He enables and configures it in his configuration
file `docstrip.cfg':

* \BaseDirectory{...} points to the root of the TDS tree
  where the package should be installed.

* \UseTDS enables it.

If \usedir is set, then docstrip will not unpack the files in
the current directory but in the directory constructed by
\BaseDirectory and \usedir.

A disadvantage remains that TeX cannot create directories,
therefore I am using the shell-escape feature in the scripts
of project latex-tds. The commands of docstrip.cfg:

  \BaseDirectory{texmf}
  \UseTDS

  \def\shell#{\immediate\write18}
  \def\mkdir#1{\shell{mkdir -p #1}}