[tex-live] branches2007/ vs. trunk/ (was: building binaries for FreeBSD-STABLE amd64)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 27 13:41:13 CEST 2007

On 27 Jul 2007, at 10:37 am, Joachim Schrod wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> On 26 Jul 2007, at 4:26 pm, Nikola Lecic wrote:
>>> You have to download either release DVD or stable snapshot and
>>> to build source/ directory.
>> I'd recommend getting the source/ tree from texlive/branches/
>> branch2007, which includes some important patches since the DVD
>> release, including fixes specific to some 64-bit architectures.
>> Note that these fixes are not necessarily in trunk/ at the moment;
>
> Oomm, wouldn't it be a good policy that all fixes in branch2007/
> are also committed to trunk/, unless they got obsolete by a feature
> change or rewrite?

In general, I'd agree with this.

When I patched xetex in branch2007 recently, I didn't merge the fixes
into the trunk at the same time because they will be superseded by
more extensive updates soon. But that hasn't happened quite as
quickly as I hoped, so maybe I should merge the bug-fixes from the
branch as a temporary measure.

JK