[tex-live] texdoc in luatex

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Mon Jul 23 09:44:39 CEST 2007

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:
>
>>     If it's always `:' on Unix-likes and always `;' on Windowsen,
>>
>> As far as I can see, it is.  The kpse_path_expand function in
>> expand.c outputs the elements separated by ENV_SEP, where ENV_SEP is
>> defined in c-pathch.h with the usual #ifdef's.  There is also some
>> agony to deal with Windows drive specs.
>>
>> David, I guess that causes trouble for auctex somehow, but I'm
>> afraid I don't understand what you're proposing.  Sorry.
>
> You are aware that Cygwin is "Unix-like"?  You can have a Cygwin Emacs
> with native Windows TeX executables and vice versa.  So it is
> impossible to guess on Windows just what sort of executable one is
> dealing with.
>
> What I am proposing is a behavior where _both_ : and ; work as path
> separators, with the exception that : after a _single_ letter is not a
> path separator.

That works as long as we are sure that a variable contains only paths.
It does not generally work with stuff like

$ grep TEXDOC src/Upstream-source/TeXLive/Build/source/texk/kpathsea/texmf.in
TEXDOCSSUFFIX   = ;.pdf;.ps;.dvi;.html;.txt;.tex
TEXDOCSCOMPRESS = ;.gz;.bz2;.zip;.Z
TEXDOCEXT       = {$TEXDOCSSUFFIX}{$TEXDOCSCOMPRESS}

(it does in this particular case, because the `.' separator is included,
and because `Z' comes last, but that's a lucky coincidence).  So either
we decide now to not allow non-path information in kpathsea list
variables, or we shouldn't be too bold with introducing "clever"
heuristics.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster