[tex-live] Compile fails on Mac OS X Server 10.3.9

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 20 18:14:28 CEST 2007

On 20 Jul 2007, at 8:35 am, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2007, at 15:20, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>

>> On 20 Jul 2007, at 5:35 am, Akira Kakuto wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I don't know about this problem.
>>> However, the present head contains some inconsistency
>>> (tex.ch and XeTeX).
>>> Therefore you have to use branches/branch2007/Build.
>>> (or tags/texlive-2007.0/Build, which is the same
>>>  as the released texlive-2007.)
>>
>> Use the latest revision of branches/branch2007/Build rather than
>> tags/texlive-2007.0/Build, as this gets you some significant bug-
>> fixes.
>
> I have neither. My current mirror is the original SVN trunk svn://
> gerben at tug.org/texlive/trunk/Build
>
> I do not want the original 2007 (if I want that I can take revision
> 3972), I would like to have the trunk with all the stable patches.
>
> How is this svn tree organized? What if I want a fully patched but
> stable TL. Do I take branches/branch2007 and I have patches there
> for Build & Master? Or is Master organized different from Build?

For the Build side, branches/branch2007 is supposed to be stable but
include important patches to the 2007 release; trunk is an unstable
development line that will presumably stabilize as we approach the
time for the next release.

As for Master, I don't know if anyone is keeping track of patches
that could reasonably be applied to TL2007 and still considered
stable, as opposed to the unstable development in trunk. It would be
good to apply low-risk bug-fix patches to branches/branch2007, but
AFAIK that hasn't been happening. Basing a distribution on trunk at
this point in the release cycle would seem risky, though, as I don't
think it gets continual regression testing or anything like that.

For the purposes of a distribution like yours, my suggestion would be
to use branches/branch2007, and if there are Master patches that are
needed (e.g., package where you know there were problems in the 2007
release, and there are now fixed versions) then apply those to
branch2007/Master as well.

You might find that the Debian folks have a coherent set of patches
based on the February release, adding fixes for whatever specific
bugs they're aware of.

JK