[tex-live] texlive docs --- lucida fonts?

ivo welch ivo_welch at brown.edu
Sat Jan 27 01:03:04 CET 2007

First, let me say that I very much appreciate your help.  I feel like I
am searching in the dark.

Is the following a bug or feature: updmap does not seem to search in the
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ hierarchy.  That is, I learned I could do
    # updmap --edit
and added
    Map lucida.map
but when I run updmap, I get an error that this map file is not found.
In fact, updmap never looks into the local hierarchy.  When I link the
lucida.map file from the lucida distribution into the
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/lucida.map, updmap
completes correctly, and I can see that it grokked the lucida.map file.
Good.  Following Reinhard, I enabled the Map, though I think it had
already gotten the idea that I had a lucida.map file.

I also followed Karl's suggestion and moved the fonts up.

Now,
# kpsewhich lbmo.pfb
/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbmo.pfb

I reran texhash, and for good measure, a few more updmap's and
texhash's.  :-).

Thanks, Karl, also for the next suggestion, which was to check that my
fonts are in psfonts.map.  They are:

# more `kpsewhich psfonts.map`  | grep hlc
hlcbot8r LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <lbtbo.pfb
hlcbot8y LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <lbtbo.pfb
hlcbt8r LucidaTypewriterBold "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<lbtb.pfb
hlcbt8y LucidaTypewriterBold "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <lbtb.pfb
hlcda LucidaNewMath-Arrows-Demi <lbmad.pfb
hlcdim LucidaNewMath-DemiItalic <lbmdi.pfb
hlcdima LucidaNewMath-AltDemiItalic <lbmdo.pfb
hlcdm LucidaNewMath-Demibold <lbmd.pfb
hlcdy LucidaNewMath-Symbol-Demi <lbmsd.pfb
hlcra LucidaNewMath-Arrows <lbma.pfb
hlcrf8r LucidaBlackletter "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <lbl.pfb
hlcrf8y LucidaBlackletter "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
<lbl.pfb
hlcrie8r LucidaCalligraphy-Italic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <lbc.pfb
hlcrie8y LucidaCalligraphy-Italic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <lbc.pfb
hlcrim LucidaNewMath-Italic <lbmi.pfb
hlcrima LucidaNewMath-AltItalic <lbmo.pfb
hlcrin8r LucidaCasual-Italic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<lbki.pfb
hlcrin8y LucidaCasual-Italic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <lbki.pfb
hlcriw8r LucidaHandwriting-Italic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <lbh.pfb
hlcriw8y LucidaHandwriting-Italic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <lbh.pfb
hlcrm LucidaNewMath-Roman <lbmr.pfb
hlcrn8r LucidaCasual "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <lbkr.pfb
hlcrn8y LucidaCasual "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <lbkr.pfb
hlcrot8r LucidaTypewriterOblique "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<lbto.pfb
hlcrot8y LucidaTypewriterOblique "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <lbto.pfb
hlcrt8r LucidaTypewriter "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <lbtr.pfb
hlcrt8y LucidaTypewriter "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
<lbtr.pfb
hlcrv LucidaNewMath-Extension <lbme.pfb
hlcry LucidaNewMath-Symbol <lbms.pfb

Alas, this still does not work.  Here is exactly how it fails:

# more test.tex
\documentclass[12pt]{article}

% shameless copy: I am not sure what this does, but I presume it should work
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp} % to get the right copyright, etc. % use Lucida
fonts for both text and math.
\usepackage[altbullet]{lucidabr}     % get larger bullet
\DeclareEncodingSubset{TS1}{hlh}{1}  % including \oldstylenums

\begin{document}

\title{hi}
\author{me}
\maketitle

\end{document}

# pdflatex test.tex

This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./test2.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
yphenation, arabic, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak,
german, ng
erman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian, farsi,
finnish,
 french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian,
interlingua, ibyc
us, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk,
polish, por
tuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian, serbian,
swedish,
turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size12.clo))
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/fontenc.sty
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/t1enc.def))
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/textcomp.sty
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/ts1enc.def))
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfssx/lucidabr.sty)
(./test2.aux) (/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/ts1cmr.fd)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfssx/lmrhlcm.fd)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfssx/omlhlcm.fd)kpathsea:
Running mktextfm hlcrima
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input hlcrima
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf hlcrima
! I can't find file `hlcrima'.
<*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input hlcrima

I did an strace on pdflatex, and saw that it never looks for .pfb and
.afm files in the local hierarchy, either.

I am just about ready to hardcode font file locations into the
lucida.map file, but I can't imagine that this would be the recommended
installation procedure.

Thanks again for any help.

Regards,

/ivo