[tex-live] major problem with latin modern fonts in texlivetest2007-inst-20070121.iso?

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez artemiog at mac.com
Mon Jan 22 00:59:07 CET 2007

Hartmut Henkel wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Artemio Gonzalez Lopez wrote:
>
>> After installing texlivetest2007-inst-20070121.iso, I've had a major problem
>> with latex documents using latin modern fonts through
>>
>> \usepackage{lmodern}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>>
>> These documents don't displaying correctly (both the dvi and pdf); more
>> precisely, the math fonts are replaced by the roman font, and the document
>> takes forever to display and looks like gibberish.
>
> maybe it's the time for bitmap generation, and then the pixelish bitmaps
> on screen. Here lmmi wasn't in pdftex.map, as lm-math.map wasn't in the
> updmap.cfg. After "updmap-sys --enable Map=lm-math.map" proper Type1
> fonts were used. (But whether lm-math.map is the right map file i have
> no idea, there are sooo many map files.)
>
> Regards, Hartmut

Harmut,

Thanks for the suggestion! I ran "updmap-sys --enable Map=lm-math.map",
which indeed fixed the problem, but only after a few pk fonts were
generated. In your message, however, you mention that proper T1 fonts
should be used after lm-math.map is enabled, so I'm not sure if things
are working as expected (although I should say that both the dvi and pdf
files display correctly, even after considerable magnification). Am I
missing something here (for instance, do I need screen fonts for Mac OS
X not provided by TL, etc.)?

Thanks again for your help,

Artemio