[tex-live] texmf-dist/doc/xelatex/xltxtra/xltxtra.pdf

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sat Jan 20 05:39:31 CET 2007

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 09:31:39PM +0100, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:00:59PM +0000, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>
> > Here are the files that ps2pdf had problems with.
>
> Many thanks for testing.
>
> > texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/attachfile2.pdf
> > texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/bmpsize.pdf
> > texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/inputenx.pdf
> > texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.pdf
> > texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/zref.pdf
>
> > === texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/attachfile2.pdf ====
> >    **** Warning:  File has an invalid xref entry:  1267.  Rebuilding xref table.
>
> As last step I used Multivalent to compress the files (PDF-1.5):
>   java -cp Multivalent20060102.jar too.pdf.Compress foobar.pdf
> The version before this step is ok, thus Multivalent seems to
> be the culprit.

No. Multivalent is innocent. The culprit is Ghostscript:
The pdf file uses for the  xref object:
  /Type /XRef
  /W [1 3 1]
  /Filter /FlateDecode
  /DecodeParms <<
    /Predictor 12
    /Columns 5

Only 2 (up) is used as predictor function.
The problem arises in the generation number, example for bmpsize:
ghostscript reports invalid xref entry for 1408:

  2 2834 145 % object 1407
  1 69896 0 % object 1408

However ghostscript resolves the stream, but gets for entry 1408:
  1 69896 255 % object 1408

> But I will upload fixed versions next days

No need, the pdf files are correct, it is a bug of ghostscript.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>