[tex-live] filename clash (upper/lower case)

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 15 01:19:41 CET 2007

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

>   > Case-insensitive filesystems are a pain.  Sigh.
>
> Maybe some operating systems expect that people have a teletype
> machine as an output device.

the first unix machines probably had teletypes for output (certainly i
was working on a teletype at that time ... though our machine was
admittedly a mainframe).

so unix got over it ...

i suspect dual case things like that derive from our unwillingness to
*impose* "what's good for them" on authors on the archive.  i'm getting
over that feeling (and am regularly changing things now), and jim nags
anyone who submits something that's not quite right.

robin