[tex-live] package updates still possible?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 10:27:31 CET 2007

Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     > seminar.bg2: TL 2005 beta contains 1997/11/20 v1.6
>
> From the license in seminar.cls, it is obviously nonfree (modifications
> cannot be distributed, can't be sold, etc.).  I've deleted it from TL.
> Sorry.

actually, no; i was right in my mail.

from sem-read.me:

  IMPORTANT NOTE

  With the agreement of Timothy Van Zandt  (now Timothy.VAN-ZANDT at insead.edu),
  the distributions conditions on seminar are now relaxed to:

   This package may be distributed under the terms of the LaTeX Project Public
   License, as described in lppl.txt in the base LaTeX distribution.
   Either version 1.0 or, at your option, any later version.

(that was written by sebastian.)

  This overrides any conditions listed below.

> Meanwhile, I wrote Denis Girou, who seems to be the person working on it
> these days, to see if he can update CTAN or if he has heard from
> van Zandt at all (unlikely).

if you _are_ removing seminar from tl, you ought also to remove the
packages that depend on it, such as prosper.

of course, an ideal situation would be for someone such as denis or
sebastian either to submit the updates or to declare that the package is
up for grabs by someone else.

all very depressing.