[tex-live] [tlpmgui] tlpmgui on linux

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jan 8 04:51:26 CET 2007

  > I don't know what is wrong, but you can help me: download from
  > http://www.equi4.com/pub/tk/8.4.11/ files:
  > tclkit-linux-x86-static.gz and tclkit-linux-x86.gz unzip and
  > run. After run type in: package require Tk If will start ok, then
  > will appear empty window. try for both binaries and send me
  > results.

This works as you described.

All programs except tclkit-linux-x86-static first load the .so files.
All programs look for encoding/iso8859-1.enc in various directories in
the $HOME tree without success.  Apparently this is harmless.

After I typed "package require Tk", tclkit-linux-x86 loads some X11
shared libraries and after that a few other X11 related files, mostly
locale stuff.  Obviously in tclkit-linux-x86-static the X11 libs are
statically linked.

It seems that in tlpmgui the error message appears before the
X11 libraries are loaded.

    http://ms25.ath.cx/strace-tlpmgui-eopen

is the output of

   strace -eopen ./tlpmgui &>strace-tlpmgui-eopen

while

    http://ms25.ath.cx/strace-tlpmgui

is the outfut of

    strace ./tlpmgui &>strace-tlpmgui

However, it seems that you don't have to worry about the lines
access("/.../tlpmgui/lib", F_OK) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a directory)
I get the same messages in tclkit-linux-* too, but it doesn't cause
any harm there.

Stupid enough to expect that tlpmgui/lib is a directory when tlpmgui
is a regular file.  I don't know where this comes from but I think it
can be ignored.  I guess that it's hidden deeply in the system and you
can't prevent it anyway.  There had been a similar problem with bash a
few years ago which seems to be fixed now.

  >> I assumed that it was written Perl and converted to C.
  > GUI of installer - tlpmgui is written in Tcl/Tk plus several
  > additional packages. Scripts are wrapped into executable runtime,
  > more about it here: http://www.equi4.com/tclkit.html Install
  > engine

Cool.  It's the first time I see a program which doesn't load all
shared libs at the beginning.  Maybe some huge programs like netscape
or firefox load plugins this way, but I avoided to apply strace on
such huge programs. It seems that it's possible to write a
program which provides a GUI if X11 is available and a dialog like
menu if not.  This is difficult to accomplish in Perl.

  > - tlpm is written in pure Perl, but tlpm haven't GUI.  I forgot:
  > of course you can use tlpm without tlpmgui.

Yes, I noticed it already.  That's good because I often use an ssh
client when I'm not at home.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25