[tex-live] problem with texmf.cnf in texlive-inst-2007-01-06

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jan 7 23:47:36 CET 2007

    However, now the entry for pdftex lists language.def as the pattern
    file, even if as far as I know (at least up till recently) plain
    pdftex doesn't use any pattern file.

(You mean language file, not pattern file, I assume.)

My feeling was that pdftex might as well support Babel, like pdfetex.
Why not?  Especially since now "pdftex" enables the e-tex extensions.
It seemed unlikely to be a compatibility problem in practice, but maybe
I am forgetting something?

Martin?

Thanks,
Karl