[tex-live] OpenBSD

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jan 2 23:31:11 CET 2007

    Therefore, xetex inherits a dependency on the installed libfreetype,
    in addition to having its own statically-linked freetype2 routines.

Yes.  On GNU/Linux, for example, ldd reports (among other things):
	libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x00b3f000)
	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00a74000)

    any use of the host system's libfreetype.so is internal to
    fontconfig and does not interact with xetex's own use of freetype2.

Let's hope.

    - However, we obviously don't want a program that prints warnings
    like this each time it's used!

The warnings only happen on OpenBSD (and maybe FreeBSD? -- Manfred, does
running xetex --version produce any warnings for you?).  So we don't
need to change things on other platforms.

Martin, can you see if the OpenBSD ld has any kind of option to produce
a binary which avoids such warnings?  Does it use GNU ld?  I don't see
anything relevant in GNU ld, unfortunately.  Search around for the error
and see if it's come up before?  (Not necessary with freetype2.)

Failing that, my suggestion would be to link the OpenBSD xetex with the
system freetype2, instead of TL's freetype2.  Granted it creates a
potential for problems, I see no better choice.  Better potential
problems than a dozen warnings on every invocation.

The opposite approach of doing all the work of incorporating fontconfig
into TL just for OpenBSD, and even then probably ending up with an
inferior binary, seems the wrong direction to me.

karl