[tex-live] [www-ptex 163999] Conflicting binary/format names: platex is polish and japanese

Hideaki Togashi hideak-t at ascii.co.jp
Tue Feb 20 14:50:24 CET 2007

Hello Dr. Frank and other members,

This is Hideaki Togashi of ASCII Co. in Japan.

Thank you for your contacting to us.

I've been worrying about this matter.  But we couldn't do nothing.

pTeX was developed as jTeX on 1987, and pTeX (publishing TeX) was
opend to public on 1989.  Since then, we Japanese have used the names
'ptex' and 'platex', and we are accustomed to the names.  It took a
very long time for us to recognize the existence of Polish TeX.  It
was on teTeX we found Polish TeX as far as I can remember.

For now, first of all, I let some pTeX members (including people
outside of ASCII Co.) know your e-mail, and asked them any idea.  I
hope there may be some good solution to this problem.

Cheers,

--
Hideaki Togashi <hideak-t at ascii.co.jp>