[tex-live] texmf.cnf-4WIN

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Thu Feb 15 19:21:27 CET 2007

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> you'll see that it first looks for
>
>    /path/to/texlive/bin/<platform>/texmf.cnf
>
> Obviously it's best to create a file "Master/bin/win32/texmf.cnf"
> which only contains things which are supposed to be different on
> Windows.
>
> This has many advantages:
>
>    1. Changes made in the main texmf.cnf file will be taken into
>       account immediately.  Only variables you changed will not be
>       affected.

And that might again lead to problems, in particular if we forgot that a
variable that we want to change is set differently on Windows.

Why not try to generate the texmf.cnf for windows at build time?  It is
generated anyway, from texmf.in (I guess this is the same when building
for windows?), and we could apply an additional sed script to make the
win-specific changes.  If we code carefully, any change to texmf.in in
lines with windows-specific settings will cause the Win-ify sed script
to fail, and we won't forget to think about it and adapt it.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)