[tex-live] [OT] Re: rebuild

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 12 05:51:43 CET 2007

Many years ago a colleague and I wrote an Othello program, BILL.  We
decided that it needed the ability to think on its opponent time (do
lookahead while the opponent is thinking), and we were right.  And we
decided as much the evening before the tournament, which was not so
right.

All night we coded like mad.  When the tournament began in the
morning, we had a version with thinkahead that we prayed would play
all its games without crashing.  It survived the tournament by a
miracle, but we made the code so hard to read and added bugs that
survive to this day.  [You can download the source at
<http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/sanjoy/othello/bill-1.0.tar.gz>]

There's always time for one more change...

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)