[tex-live] OT: TeXLive2007.02.04 and Windows Vista

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Feb 9 10:15:29 CET 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 18:49 , Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>
>> actually, windows does have a coherent security model.  bit of a
>> surprise to a one-time-os-researcher-cynic like me...
>
> Why ?  I thought it was common knowledege that "WNT" = SUCC ("VMS"),
> and that Microsoft stole Dave Cutler from Digital; it seems more
> than logical (to me) that Vista, which is clearly derived in part
> from NT, will have inherited many of VMS's strengths, including its
> excellent security model ...

NTs birth name was "Portable OS/2 3.0". When IBM and Microsoft split
up (on Microsoft's wish for OS/2 to be portable while IBM wanted it
tied to its own hardware), both took the code base and worked from
there. IBM wnet on with OS/2, while Microsoft renamed it Windows NT.
They did attract Dave Cutler and he did bring VMS knowledge ito it.
Apparently they did not take over (or kept in place) the security
model of VMS which indeed is pretty secure I have been told.

Microsoft did weaken security at least once. because of lacking
graphics performance they moved stuff from user level to kernel
level. But I suspect they did much more like this, as their focus has
been functionality far more than security and this only slowly
changes. I know they hired top-securty people over the last years.