[tex-live] Matching TL package setups to my own

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Aug 25 01:59:11 CEST 2007

    Another circular dependency: bin-wordcount and wordcount

Strange though it is, I'm not sure circular dependencies are an error.
I don't see any other way to express it.

The better fix would be to have one package "wordcount" that includes
the bin-wordcount stuff, but like I said, that is something that
requires experimentation and work.

    More stuff:

Thanks, I'll fix those.  Unless something is holding you up, you don't
actually need to report these -- I just haven't run the consistency
checks in a while, and I can't feasibly guarantee that all the tlp stuff
in development is always consistent.

    My feeling is that at the package level, it is not a big deal.

My concern is whether the installer, the package updater, etc., do the
right thing.  There's no way to know that except to try, and I just
can't put that experiment at the top of my list.

    What you need to decide is name space uniqueness for TLPOBJ names.

All names are supposed to be unique now!  Independent of category.

    Categories are now used for two things I think:
    - where should stuff go (texmf, texmf-doc, etc)
    - how is it to be presented to the user (packages or schemes or
    collections)

That is true, and I agree they are not orthogonal ideas.  I don't think
the current situation does any great harm once the above is understood,
though.

Best,