[tex-live] texmf.cnf: Why "Part 4: extra format definitions for TeX Live"?

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Apr 10 16:52:23 CEST 2007

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Die, 10 Apr 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
>> didn't find a clever place for the texdoc stuff, and we could remove the
>> {JAVA,LUA,PERL,...}INPUTS altoghether in the non-Windows version.
>
> The LUA and PERL stuff should better not be removed. luatex-snapshot is
> waiting in NEW, who knows what else we need.

I really sent this to the texlive list, not the Debian list, and I
suggest a change in TeXLive proper, not Debian.  So NEW isn't really
relevant probably...

The comment says

% Perl, Python, Ruby, Java scripts (Win32 only)
% This is used by the irun.exe program which simulates a symlink
% but also makes use of kpathsea to retrieve the target

and then come JAVAINPUTS, LUAINPUTS, PERLINPUTS, PYTHONINPUTS, and
RUBYINPUTS.  To me that sounds as if those variables are unused on
other systems than Windows.

Either the comment should be changed, or the variables can be dropped;
or we opt to keep them to keep the differences between texmf.cnf and
texmf.cnf-4WIN as small as possible.

Regards, Frank

--
Dr. Frank Küster