[tex-live] [dev-context] Debian TeX -- new packages

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Apr 3 13:09:20 CEST 2007

Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy at mrao.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> The only glitches I've noticed so far:
>
> * installing the pkgs removed dvipdfmx but I haven't figured out the
>   reason.  It may be Ubuntu-specific.

At least I have them installed together here on etch.

> * dvipos isn't included in any binary packages, although it gets built
>   when creating them:
>
>     $ pwd
>     /var/tmp/tlrebuild/texlive-bin-2007
>     $ find -name dvipos
>     ./build/source/texk/dvipos
>     ./build/source/inst/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/dvipos
>     ./build/source/Work/texk/dvipos
>     ./build/source/Work/texk/dvipos/dvipos
>     ./bin/i386-linux/dvipos
>
>   I couldn't figure out where the package-splitting information lives,
>   in order that dpkg-buildpackage knows dvipos belongs to a particular
>   binary package.

The information for splitting lies in upstream TeXLive information,

$ grep dvipos src/Upstream-source/TeXLive/Master/texmf/tpm/*
src/Upstream-source/TeXLive/Master/texmf/tpm/bin-dvipdfmx.tpm:bin/${ARCH}/dvipos
[...]

but the reason why it isn't included is in
texlive-bin-2007/debian/tpm2deb.cfg:

$ grep dvipdfmx src/Packages/texlive-new/texlive-bin-2007/debian/tpm2deb.cfg
# dvipdfmx in Debian
blacklist;tpm;bin-dvipdfmx;*
recommends;texlive-base;dvipdfmx (>= 1:20050831-1)

In other words:  dvipos is a part of bin-dvipdfmx, but dvipdfmx is a
separate package in Debian.  Has this binary been introduced only in
newer versions of dvipdfmx?  We should ask the dvipdfmx maintainer to
add it.

> Multiple binary pkgs from one source pkg is one the the deeper
> mysteries of Debian packaging, well understood by maintainers of
> complex packages (like texlive or tetex) but not documented elsewhere.
> But I'm happy to learn how that works!

Hm, this is documented mainly in the debhelper manpages, because there
are many ways to split a source into multiple packages, but debhelper is
the most common one.  Essentially, debian/rules somehow has to copy or
move the files into different subtrees, package1/usr/share/texmf and
package2/usr/share/texmf, and if there are multiple package lines in
debian/control, dh_builddeb will create multiple binary packages.

texlive in Debian, however, does not use debhelper, we do the copying
manually - again, the information is in debian/tpm2deb.cfg, the logic in
debian/tpm2deb-bin.pl.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster