[tex-live] 8.3 file name restrictions

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 21:33:58 CEST 2006

2006/9/13, John R. Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>:
> On Wednesday 13 September 2006 11:33, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> >  things branded as "openvms" (hah!) may still
> > have the capability, but using it would be as daft as using dos fat on
> > win xp.
>
> Last time I looked there was not a reliable way in Linux to write
> to a NFS partition. Hence those of us who run both OS' on one
> computer tend to format the Windows partition using the older FAT
> form. I know that there are extensions that purport to allow one
> to write on a NSF partition from Linux, but I don't know how
> reliable they are. Hence self-mounting Linux systems like Knoppix
> and Slax mount such partitions read-only by default.

I know it is slightly off topic but there is better solution than dual
boot --- free VMWare server. We have WinXP in our institute on a 2.7
GHz Pentium and even simple programs are slower than simple programs
in Linux on my ancient 150 MHz Pentium. Now I have 64bit 3.4 GHz
Pentium dual core with Linux as the only OS and WinXP running inside
VMWare server. It runs much faster, unlike on the computer in our
institute it does not take ages to open a PDF in Acrobat Reader. The
virtual machine has just 4 GB HD and I have Samba running in Linux so
that I can save files from WinXP to my Linux disk. I have VMWare
server also on my notebook with 1.6 GHz Pentium but without WinXP (I
have only 1 license for WinXP).

Anyway, live CD with just the most important packages would be a good
idea. Similarly, it might be useful to prepare so called virtual
appliance, i.e. an image of some Linux distribution with TeXLive
already installed which could be downloaded and run as a virtual
machine in VMWare. There are several appliances on www.vmware.com

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/