[tex-live] tl doc formats

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 9 22:07:19 CEST 2006

John R. Culleton wrote:

> peed, perhaps pdftex without
> etex should still be maintained, Right now pdftex is just a synonym for
> pdfetex, which is not needed by most users.

LaTeX wants you to use eTeX, and so does ConTeXt, I think.
Don't tell me that doesn't cover "most users".....
> Of course I would like to see a thing called "pstex" which went
> from source to PostScript, but that is just a dream.

I am not sure why a shell script called "pstex" which does
 1.TeX ->{dvi|pdf}
 2.{dvi|pdf}->PostScript
is really very different from a clone of pdftex
which generates PS.

Why you want PS, of course, is beyond me :-}

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk