[tex-live] tl doc formats

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Sep 9 17:16:01 CEST 2006

John R. Culleton wrote:
> With Context PSTRicks and metapost are accommodated by multiple
> passes.  Context is of course very slow as compared to other TeX versions
> because of the multiple passes and voluminous messages.

fyi: only as many passes as needed are used (mayeb it's more prominent because texexec takes care of additional passes when needed)

concerning speed, there is also a relationship between what is loaded in the format and not; in that respect context has not become slower (actually faster) but this may not be true for other packages that e.g. load more patterns than in the past; it also depends on what font metrics are present in the format; in general, this makes it very hard not only to tell the speed difference between versions of tex the progranm, but also between versions of macropackages. my experience is that a small tex tree runs much faster; i also noticed that on an xfs filesystem (unix) tex runs faster

speed remains a fuzzy area

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE