[tex-live] missing fonts for 'texdoc TETEXDOC'

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 14:04:27 CEST 2006

On 9/8/06, Ken Brooks <kenb at rpath.com> wrote:
> I have an install that is pretty close to working.  And a glitch that
> makes me wonder.  I run
>    texdoc TETEXDOC
> I get successful handling of logo*, cmr*, and cmsy* fonts and failures
> for ec-lmt* and zppl* fonts.  texdoc ends up substituting cmr fonts for
> the missing ones, and the document displays quite legibly.
>
> For example, zpplcmr.  A careful search of my texmf trees reveals
>    texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/alias/adobe/mathppl/zpplcmr.htf
> (a very small and uninformative file) but no related .mf from which a
> .tfm or .pk might be generated.
>
> A second example, ec-lmtt10, fails differently.  I find
>    texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/lm/ec-lmtt10.tfm
> but no .mf or .pk to go with it.
>
> Am I looking at a failure of installation, or an old document that names
> forgotten fonts and is tolerated because it is still readable?

TETEXDOC.tex uses palatcm.sty, which  uses old font names and seems to
have been classed as "non-free" (so probably isn't beign maintained).

You could use "mathpazo.sty", which gives:

 $ pdffonts TETEXDOC.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
JYQDWW+URWPalladioL-Roma             Type 1       yes yes no     159  0
CXJCTL+URWPalladioL-Bold             Type 1       yes yes no     162  0
YRRSRU+LOGO10                        Type 1       yes yes no     165  0
UKEPMK+LMTypewriter10-Regular        Type 1       yes yes no     168  0
RSFEFO+CMSY10                        Type 1       yes yes no     225  0
VAXPZV+PazoMath-Bold                 Type 1       yes yes no     236  0
DJHWJV+PazoMath                      Type 1       yes yes no     239  0
SRPAYF+LMTypewriter10-Italic         Type 1       yes yes no     259  0
GDVJLE+URWPalladioL-Ital             Type 1       yes yes no     262  0
AMSFBE+URWPalladioL-BoldItal         Type 1       yes yes no     266  0
DTBWXA+LMTypewriter10-Oblique        Type 1       yes yes no     297  0
YZRPAA+LOGOSL10                      Type 1       yes yes no     343  0

(e.g., pazomath replaces some cm math fonts)

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia