[tex-live] TeXLive 2005 is slower than TeXLive2003

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Sep 8 11:48:28 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> Jerzy B. Ludwichowski wrote:
>> David Kastrup wrote:
>>>>
>>> System calls can easily be tracked by running
>>>
>>> strace tex ...
>>>
>>> on a typical Unix-like system.
>>>
>> There  is a system performance monitoring tool (control panel >
>> administrative tools > performance)  or started from the command line as
>> perfmon.msc) which can trace various characteristics of system activity.
>> It has got a Help. I'd think that with a bit of luck one could find out
>> what's going on. I do not say that this will be easy.
>>
> the speed of a tex run under windows (but probably any system) is to
> some extend determined by the file lookup but after the first tex
> run file caching normally deals with that

Wouldn't profiling the system calls under Unix suffice already for
figuring this out?  Or is it likely that the Windows port does its
work sufficiently different so that the results would not be
transferable?

I thought that in most respects, the Windows and Unix executables
should be compiled from the same source code, right?