[tex-live] License auditing: Consequences

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Sep 6 22:49:44 CEST 2006

    Creative Commons ShareAlike

I find the CC licenses extremely confusing, because there are so many of
them, and many of them are nonfree.  What does ShareAlike do?

My own preference these days is just to use the simplest thing possible,
because I'm just not concerned with someone else claiming the work as
their own.  It's never happened in 20+ years and I can't see it ever
happening (and if it does, I still don't care :).  That used to be
"public domain", but now I guess it is Frank's sentence.  (Sigh.)

However, I agree with whoever that GFDL with no Cover Texts or Invariant
Sections is still ok for standalone documents like the pdftex manual.
Everyone accepts it, and it is not a bad thing.  It is probably used
more than any other single doc license -- e.g., Wikipedia uses it.

Cheers,
karl