[tex-live] Contact to Donald Arseneau

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Sep 5 08:08:14 CEST 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>           import.sty:    "this software is free of any restrictions"
>           relsize.sty:   "public domain", nothing else
>           braket.sty:    "This is free, unencumbered, unsupported software."
>           notoccite.sty: "unrestricted software contributed to the public domain"
>           sansmath:      "public domain", nothing else
>           titleref.sty:  "public domain", nothing else
>
> FWIW, I see no problem with any these.

Not in the sense that I would exclude them.  But I've been told
repeatedly that it's better to add "You may freely use, modify and/or
distribute this file".  This is because "public domain" is not a
well-defined concept in many jurisdictions, and somewhat problematic
even in the US, and *may* cause problems if someone else gets hold on
the author's intellectual property.

Therefore, if Donald has to touch many files anyway, we can as well
request him to do this, too (or have someone else do it; a public
statement "go ahead and reupload my packages with the changes proposed"
would be fine, too).

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster