[tex-live] Curious discrepancy

Ken Brooks kenb at rpath.com
Fri Sep 1 18:02:08 CEST 2006

I finally figured out something important:  if I let the texlive sources
as found in
http://www.tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/texlive/source/source.tar.bz2
build the way the way they want to build, unmodified, kpathsea will look
for texmf.cnf under /usr/share/texmf.  That's great, because that's how I
need things organized.

That's also startling because the texlive data tree as installed from the
standard texlive2005-inst-20051102.iso lands at
/usr/share/texlive/2005/texmf*.  And that path is nowhere on the paths
searched by kpathsea as built above.

Am I overlooking something obvious?  Do I have the wrong .iso?

BTW, based on a message from Reinhard on 8/1/06, I get the impression
that I should let the texmf/ tree created by the build override the one
installed from the .iso, but texmf-dist/ should come from the .iso.  Am I
right?

Thanks,
Ken Brooks
rPath, Inc.