[tex-live] Comment on libfontconfig

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Oct 4 19:16:25 CEST 2006

On 4 Oct 2006, at 4:36 pm, Frank Küster wrote:

> Now that's bad:  Linux and BSD have different sonames for the same
> library version?

It's unfortunate, though not necessarily a problem in itself. TL has
separate binaries for FreeBSD and Linux, at least for i386, so
there's nothing to prevent them using different sonames. As long as
the soname on the system that builds the TL binary for FreeBSD
matches the soname on the target machine, it should be fine.

>   The inofficial Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port uses the same
> source package as Debian Linux, therefore it also has so.1.1.0

If this means (as I understand it) that some FreeBSD users have
libfontconfig.so.1 and others have libfontconfig.so.3, depending
which package they installed, then we do have a problem here. If
someone knows how to build without a hard dependency, and find the
installed library at runtime, that's fine with me. Otherwise I guess
it'll be up to whoever builds FreeBSD binaries for TL to decide what
fontconfig package to support.

JK