[tex-live] xdvipdfmx build problem

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Oct 1 17:51:28 CEST 2006

  > My first guess is that you don't have fontconfig (or the
  > fontconfig headers) installed, and xdvipdfmx doesn't build
  > correctly without them. If you can install fontconfig-dev or
  > whatever is equivalent for your Linux system, you could confirm
  > whether this is the issue. (If I'm right, then obviously configure
  > needs to check this better.)

There are three files in /usr/include/fontconfig, fcfreetype.h,
fcprivate.h, and fontconfig.h

A few weeks ago I updated my system and have fontconfig-2.3.2 now.
With this version xetex compiles without problems.

When I try --without-xdvipdfmx I still get
xetex compiled.  Hence I assume that the header files are ok.

  > Anyhow, I'll try to look into this. I've been wondering whether we
  > should attempt a static build of fontconfig within TL, to avoid
  > the dependency... but it's unclear whether this would work if the
  > distro is using a customized FC configuration.

I suppose that it is possible to rely on a shared library because this
is what Acroread actually does.  There is only one AR binary for
all linux distributions.  And the problems I encountered so far had
been at build time.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25