[tex-live] utopia fonts free license clarification

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Wed Nov 22 12:43:57 CET 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

> I am happy to announce that Adobe has graciously clarified the licensing
> terms of the Utopia font family, making it clear that the fonts can be
> modified, and such modifications can be redistributed (this was
> previously ambiguous, unfortunately).  Therefore, the Utopia fonts can
> now be considered free (as in freedom), and will be included on the next
> TeX Live.

That's great, simply great!

> For those who are concerned about such things, the precise license terms
> from Adobe and other legal information is also available at
> http://tug.org/fonts/utopia.

However, I am still concerned about details of the wording: The license
is granted to "the TeX Users Group".  Does that mean that only TUG is
allowed to modify and (re)distribute the fonts?  What about a publisher
who wants to accompany their book on LaTeX with a copy of a TeXlive DVD?
Or should we read "TeX Users Group" as "anyone among those who use TeX"?

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)