[tex-live] using JadeTeX with TeX Live

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Nov 1 23:45:52 CET 2006

  > Ok, so I need to build tex.fmt - but I'm not sure how, and all the
  > following fail : fmtutil --cnffile
  > /sysbuild/livetex/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf --fmtdir
  > /sysbuild/livetex/texmf/web2c --byfmt tex fmtutil: format `tex'
  > not available.  That is because there is no file tex.ini anywhere
  > in or under my /sysbuild/livetex - should there be?

Yes,

$ kpsewhich tex.ini
/opt/tex/texlive/2005/texmf-dist/tex/plain/config/tex.ini

  > (Also I saw mention of an executable fmtutil-sys in some
  > documentation but there is no file with that name in my system)

  > (In fact there is a directory /sysbuild/livetex/texmf/dvips/config
  > but it's empty).

It seems that your TeXLive installation is incomplete.

  > It looks to me that my livetex is not setup correctly but I don't
  > know what is wrong.  This is my first use of TeX Live, always
  > before I have used tetex, but saw that Live TeX has superceded
  > tetex.  I am completely stuck - can anyone please help?

The TeXLive build system is much more complicated than the teTeX one.
Unless there are no binaries for your platform I recommend to download
the ISO image and install the binaries.

This is what I get using TeXLive-2005:

$ jadetex '\relax\stop'
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
JadeTeX 2002/01/25: 3.12
No pages of output.
Transcript written on texput.log.

You don't have to run fmtutil directly and if the system is set up
properly you don't have to specify any paths.

$ texconfig init jadetex
fmtutil: running `pdfetex -ini   -jobname=jadetex -progname=jadetex &latex jadetex.ini' ...
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) (INITEX)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(/opt/tex/texlive/2005/texmf-dist/tex/jadetex/config/jadetex.ini
[... many lines omitted ...]
No pages of output.
Transcript written on jadetex.log.
fmtutil: /home/reinhard/.texlive2005/texmf-var/web2c/jadetex.fmt installed.

If TeXLive-2005 is installed properly it shouldn't be necessary to
create any format files.

However, at EuroTeX 2003 there had been a talk by Simon Pepping about
DocbookInContext.  I do not know anything about the state of the
project.  Maybe it's worthwhile to contact the Context people.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25