[tex-live] adding xetex code to TL tree

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 29 19:22:19 CEST 2006

TeX Live developers -

I'd like to propose that I create a branch (which is a cheap
operation in Subversion) in the TL repository, and add the xetex
source code there. (I haven't been around the TL world long enough to
know what policies/practices are normal here, hence this message.)

By way of background: for the most part, the xetex code lives in its
own subdirectory at source/texk/web2c/xetexdir. Adding this directory
should have no adverse effect on the rest of the TL programs.
Similarly for the xdvipdfmx driver, in source/texk/xdvipdfmx.

However, there are also some modifications to a few of the common
files in source/texk/web2c: texmfmem.h, texmfmp.h, texmfmp-help.h,
and lib/texmfmp.c. I believe all the xetex changes are contained
within #ifdef XeTeX conditionals, so that they should not affect
building anything else. So these changes should also be "safe",
though they will be visible to the maintainers of the rest of the TeX
family.

There will also be new libraries in /source/libs, and an update to
the freetype2 sources already there. The latter might have an impact
on building fpTeX on Windows, as this seems to depend on freetype2
(it is not used in a normal Unix build, as far as I can tell).

Finally (and most far-reaching), there will need to be additions to
the makefiles and configure scripts at various levels, to integrate
xetex into the overall TL build process. In principle, this shouldn't
break anything else; there will just be a few new options and
targets. But of course if xetex itself fails to compile on certain
systems (which I fully expect at this stage -- after all, TL gets
built on platforms I've never even seen!) this will halt the main build.

So it seems to me that the appropriate course is to create a branch
and work there; once the code is in place, people can try building on
various systems; and once any build-halting problems have been
addressed, we can merge the new material into the trunk.

Feedback/suggestions invited......... thanks.

JK