[tex-live] building from source

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun May 28 19:37:36 CEST 2006

Karl> But you reported that Cygwin stdio.h (and GNU/Linux stdio.h too,
Karl> at least on my red hat systems) is protected by __USE_GNU.

Appologies for the mis-communication.  I only have access to Linux,
BSD and Unix boxen, and only checked on a glibc box.

|> Is this this cygwin bug?
|> http://ftp.tug.org/mail/archives/pdftex/2006-February/006370.html

Karl> Yes, but that message implies that the Cygwin stdio.h does not protect
Karl> getline.  It does, according to what James reported.

Again, appologies for confusing the issue.  I had presumed that cygwin
would have used glibc, but I see from their cvs that they in fact use
newlib.

They added getdelim(3) getline(3) to stdio.h in:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/newlib/libc/include/stdio.h.diff?r1=1.12&r2=1.13&cvsroot=src&f=h

and as you can see from that diff w/o protecting them in an #ifdef.

The full annodation of their stdio.h in:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/newlib/libc/include/stdio.h?annotate=1.35&cvsroot=src

shows that they remain unprotected.

So, even though glibc protects the declaration unless the proper
#define is used, other libcs may not.  And cygwin’s version of
newlib is one such example.

(I hope this proves more useful than my first reply....)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos at jhcloos.com>