[tex-live] inclusion of libraries

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 23 00:03:54 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> So for TL purposes, should I plan to include all these libraries in
> texk/lib, and default to building and using these versions unless --
> with-system-.... is specified? Or is it acceptable to rely on
> installed copies of some or all of these, and leave it to packagers
> to ensure that the prerequisites are available, as part of the
> package management and installation function?

I am afraid that you're going to have to add the libraries to texk/lib,
if you want the thing to be as portable as the rest of the code.
I agree with your tacit view that this is getting silly, but
it undoubtedly current practice in TL.

Whether this is now
the moment to use native packaging systems to express
dependencies is a moot question. Sadly, TL seems to
be still run on systems where proper packaging is as yet
a rare art....

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk