[tex-live] svn vs. p4

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat May 20 23:31:55 CEST 2006

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> Would it be helpful to have two independent repositories, one for
> system independend stuff (texmf-dist and texmf-doc) and one for system
> dependent stuff (texmf and source)?  In a previous mail I mentioned a
> workaround, but a workaround is not always a solution, at least not a
> good one.

i think that this would make a big difference indeed; in that case i can
also imagine that each last svn branch is copied once per day in a clean
tree (no .svn stuff) that then can be rsynced; i'm not sure ho wmany
times a day staszek synchronizes his repository so maybe a fresh clean
tree each day is enough;

(btw, laptop disks - as stazek uses- are slow anyway but i'm not sure if
a desk top better, it may help to have a fast usb2 or firewire  disk
and  some more mem);
> It seems that svn is significantly slower than p4 though many people
> prefer svn.  It obviously requires more disk space.  It would be a
> pity if we decide to use svn now and it turns out later that we cannot
> have binaries for old systems because of hardware limitations.

well, we use svn here as well, and i have no speed problems (but that's
on a fast network with fast fiel servers)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE