[tex-live] Source and Copyright question concerning cspsfonts

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue May 9 17:43:27 CEST 2006

Zdenek Wagner <wagner at cesnet.cz> writes:

> On Tue, 9 May 2006, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> You are listed in license.eng from the cstex package as authors of the
>> CSfonts. While analyzing the license/source situation of teTeX and TeX
>> live for Debian, we found that the following files:
>> 	ntimes.sty
>>  	nhelvet.sty
>> 	cspsfont.{il2,tex,xl2}
>
> I have found my private copy of cspsfont.doc and now I understand why it
> disappeared. It is written in Czech in 1995 and modified in 1998. I do not
> remember details but now it seems to me that I gave the generated files
> for testing and planned to provide the documentation later and forgot to
> do it. I know that some bugs were fixed in the generated files later so
> distribution of my ancient cspsfont.doc will not be a good idea. I will do
> my utmost to resolve the license problem.
>
>> contain the follwoing statement:
>> -----------------
>> %% The original source files were:
>> %%
>> %% cspsfont.doc  (with options: `fonts,IL2')
>> %%
>> %% IMPORTANT NOTICE:
>> %%
>> %% For the copyright see the source file.
>> %%
>> %% You are *not* allowed to modify this file.
>> %%
>> %% You are *not* allowed to distribute this file.
>> %% For distribution of the original source see
>> %% the terms for copying and modification in the file  cspsfont.doc.

There are several solutions: get the other authors to agree to release
the generated files under a different license.  Reimport the changed
edited files into the source file and distribute that (depends on the
agreement of the editor of the changed files, but considering that he
has been in violation of the license, this should probably be easy to
assure), Czech or not.  Add a notice that translations would be very
much appreciated.

Stuff like that.