[tex-live] Missing Courier AFMs found

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue May 9 02:04:00 CEST 2006

  > Except if they don't allow modification, we should delete them.
  > (Even aside from the quoteleft/quoteright issue.)

It's certainly the best solution.

  > So does that leave us with URW Courier?  Or didn't Bitstream (or
  > someone else) donate a Courier at some point?  What's best?

At the Bachotex conference Hans, Jerzy, and Volker introduced the "New
Font Project".  The idea is that Jacko creates new fonts using
MetaType1:

 1. The standard URW fonts (except Symbol and ZapfDingbats).

 2. Bitstream Charter and Vera.

 3. Adobe Utopia.

 4. URW Garamond and Letter Gothic.

Hence we will get a Courier (which will certainly/hopefully not be
called Courier) which will be much better than everything you can buy
today.  At least Jacko's fonts will support much more languages.  And
these fonts will have a copyright which is acceptable even for Debian
people.

Ralf Stubner creates new fonts based on URW Palatino using fontforge.
I fear that the projects overlap, but if Jacko doesn't plan to create
expert fonts (don't know) then it would be nice if Ralf could provide
them.

Hence I'm quite optimistic that people can live without IBM Courier.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25