[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jun 30 22:39:01 CEST 2006

  > well, then we can put the tar.gz file with the sources alongside
  > (i suppose that we don't have to explain in detail how one
  > generates the binaries)

Nothing else than providing the tar.gz file is required.  Since we are
talking about Windows programs, I doubt that anyone wants to compile
them himself.

It's nice to hear that GPL 3 allows links to the sources, but I fear
that we cannot apply GPL 3 yet.  The final version is planned for next
year.

  > btw, an interesting side effect is that in addition to support on
  > the derived work (the tex distribution) user groups may end up in
  > providing all kind of support (offering sources, burdning
  > additional cd's, hiring web servers to serve the sources, etc);

I don't see big problems here.  Ruby, Perl, Ghostscript... provided by
TeXLive are not modified.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  If people
have problems, it does not matter whether they installed it from the
CD or downloaded it from somewhere else.

If someone has a problem though, I'm sure that there are many people
on this mailing list who are willing to help.

At the moment the sources have to be provided on the DVD but I think
that next year it is sufficient to provide links.  If there is no need
to modify the programs the links can point to the site where the
programs come from instead of tug.org.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25